Although our birth as a church was very humble – there were 12 people who first met in a tent in 1910 – St. Mary’s became a steadfast institution in the Kerrisdale area early on, and has continued to be a dynamic force in the community to this day. Our physical building is known far and wide for the beauty and symmetry that overlays the peace and joy that are deeply embedded in the wood beams and furnishings. The building has been added to from the original single-aisle church erected in 1913 to include the administrative offices, parish hall, meeting rooms, and most recently the labyrinth which was completed in 2013.
As early as 1920 St. Mary’s was providing financial assistance to missions, social service agencies, and the wider Church. We continue to honour that legacy with our robust outreach programs and with the large number of volunteers who work around the diocese to aid those in need. Over the years our own Community Meal has impacted the lives of hundreds of people in the area, and Tuesdays see neighbours helping neighbours even if they are not fellow Anglicans.
St. Mary’s has always been an amalgamation of the old and the new, the young and the young-at-heart, the traditional and the progressive. The one aspect that has not changed in over 100 years can best be summed up in the words of the rector from over 75 years ago:
“[St. Mary’s] is serving to the best of its ability a large and growing community in which splendid opportunities for Christ and His Church are opening up. Let our constant prayer be that He will give us wisdom, strength and grace …”